Thursday, April 14, 2016

Aquatic Uncle

In the Aquatic Uncle, the key issue is whether change is good, whether progress is worth it. The characters evolve past those boundaries of tradition into an area of change. The family crosses the border between amphibians and sea creatures, “running beyond the edge.” In order to understand the story, we must understand where the writer obtained his inspiration. Calvino, the author, was originally from Cuba and admired Britain and US. I think that the story as a whole was symbolic of his wanting to go and see the world. His wife was interested in this culture and maybe the story is a reflection about his wife’s reluctance to change. Calvino wanted to break the boundaries that the sea had for Cuba. Therefore, there is distinct symbolism with the elements of land versus sea. The sea is the separation of a society from progress and change.
I was able to connect to the elders in the society who did not want change. When the uncle started talking and bashing their beliefs, it reminded me of my maternal Grandma and Pop Pop Jimmy (paternal grandfather). Pop Pop Jimmy always says, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” However he uses technology to read books. My grandmother advises constantly, “Do not be hedonistic like those people on the TV.”

Of course, I would make the short story into a film. There is a problem with the characters being fish to amphibian – it would have to be a Claymation or I would have to put them in humanoid form. I would also add more evolution to the main character. The story as it sits gives me only 45 minutes’ worth of running time. I can add 30 – 40 minutes by expanding the character and certain elements of the story. One element that is only touched on is discrimination between water to land people. There is not enough details. I would expand on their friction. Also, the detail in meeting his wife is of interest to me. Finally, I would want to add why they want to leave in the water in the first place. The basics of the story are there, however a film would need to be more specific.  

No comments:

Post a Comment